The Forbidden Forest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More than just a Harry Potter fansite.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep?

Go down 
3 posters

Yes
Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_vote_lcap83%Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_vote_rcap
 83% [ 5 ]
No
Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_vote_lcap17%Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
chochang
Seven Hundred and Fifty Posts
Seven Hundred and Fifty Posts
chochang

Rank image : Captain

Character sheet
Name: The phoenix
Unique Trait: Phoenix
Level:
Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? Left_bar_bleue0/0Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep?   Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Simple poll here...

I think yes because otherwise McGonagall wouldn't have told someone (can't remember who) to take the Slytherins away when Harry returned to Hogwarts in Deathly Hallows.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
IncredibleHulk
One Thousand Five Hundred Posts
One Thousand Five Hundred Posts
IncredibleHulk

Rank image : Admiral

Character sheet
Name: Trek
Unique Trait: Cyborg
Level:
Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? Left_bar_bleue12/12Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? Empty_bar_bleue  (12/12)

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep?   Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 pm

I think yes; nearly all the dark wizards were from Slytherin, and in the 7th book everyone but the Slytherins were willing to help Harry.
Back to top Go down
caldescratch
Ten Posts
Ten Posts
caldescratch

Rank image : Ensign

PostSubject: Inherently, no, but with their pureblood association record...   Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 1:16 am

Long ranting essay time! Twisted Evil

The traits that define Slytherin house are cunning, resourcefulness and ambition, not "evil evilness". Sure, those traits could be used to achieve evil ends, but evil does not define the house. There are plenty of protagonists that display these traits in literature, and are defined as good people by most readers e.g. Terry Pratchett's Dodger, the protagonists of the Hunger Games. There are also various times in the series when the forces of good use these skills to survive their trials e.g. Snape's double-agency. I'd cite Snape and Pettigrew as examples of how Slytherin is not always evil/worse than Gryffindor, but Pettigrew shows a distinct lack of courage throughout the series while Snape is shown to have been exceptionally brave.

However, it's shown that the characters can influence their Sorting through their wishes and house preference. Most of the Slytherins we see greatly value their house - we can probably assume that they wanted to be in Slytherin badly. Their preference likely stems from Salazar's pureblood philosophy, which has nothing to do with cunning, ambition or resourcefulness (unless it was a master plot on Salazar's part to ensure that his pureblood descendents would retain their status in society. If it was, it didn't exactly work too well for the Gaunts and their impoverished lifestyle). This is most evident in Crabbe and Goyle, neither of whom express any of these traits in great amounts. They probably wished in the same way that Harry wished to be in Gryffindor.

By the looks of it, the House of Slytherin itself isn't evil and isn't designed to churn out evil: it's the pureblood fanatics that populate the house that make the place seem like it. Harry's generation was filled with pureblood children from families like Malfoy's that wished ill upon Muggles and Muggleborns. It's unlikely that they were brought up with a healthy philosophy about life or allowed to decide for themselves in this matter. Thus, a new generation of pureblood fanatics is sent to Hogwarts, told by their parents that Slytherin is the best house of them all. They put the Sorting Hat on, fervently wishing to be put in Slytherin, and even though they're not all that cunning, ambitious or resourceful... Meanwhile, any "good" people with these traits like Harry wish with all their might not to go to the house that made pretty much every evil wizard and witch in existence. Thus, you end up with the House of Slytherin: not evil in itself, but full to the brim with pureblood fanatics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep?   Do you think Slytherin deserves its bad rep? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forbidden Forest :: Harry Potter :: Harry Potter :: Book Series-
Jump to: